This is my Day of Resilience. On November 5/6 in 2010, an individual chose to change a consensual interaction into one of selfish violence. That single interaction lead to a year and a half of seeking legal justice and many years of introspection building up to where I am now.
This is the first Day of Resilience where my book “One of Us: Sex, Violence, Injustice. Resilience, Love, Hope” detailing the assault and life afterwards is publicly available on Amazon. I am thankful for the conversations of solidarity with others that this has sparked. I am thankful for the vulnerable conversations of pushing forward and encouraging each other. I am thankful for the ripple effect and how some acts of kindness or speaking out truly do make a huge difference in the lives of individuals and in our communities.
I have a request. I want you to be a part of the ripple effect.
In the past few months, we have seen an increase of public awareness around the continuum of violence from sexual harassment to groping, aggravated sexual assault to rape. Will you help share my story in support of individuals who have experienced these things and to say that you will not tolerate individuals who disrespect and violate others? Below are things you can do:
- Buy a copy of my book. Go to the header of this page or directly to Amazon and order a book. Buy a copy for a friend. Buy a copy for a younger sibling in college. Buy a couple of copies and give them to your local rape crisis center. Let me know and I’ll try to send you a “You are Beautiful. You are Good. You are Loved.” postcard.
- Tell the world how much you love my book. Post about “One of Us” on facebook and Instagram. Add whatever hashtags you want and tag @oneofusmovement or @SandiAlaska. Write an article about “One of Us” for your local newspaper or for an online blog that you love. Take an awesome photo of you and the book and post it everywhere you can.
- Review “One of Us”. We are up on Amazon and Goodreads. This doesn’t have to be a high-pressure thing. A simple sentence with 5 stars preferably. The more reviews, the better the chance that someone else will randomly find “One of Us” online and then their life will be changed forever.
- Invite me to your artsy events. I’ll do a reading and hopefully a grown man will cry. I’ve only heard of this happening and haven’t seen it in real life. Yet. My life is still a bit hectic with school but I’ll make the time since I believe in community and sharing struggles and hope together. I’ll bring books and a sweet photo backdrop. Check out the One of Us Movement facebook page and the soft launch photos to get a taste of what I’m talking about.
- Nominate “One of Us” to be your next book club book. If you haven’t heard, book clubs are a great way to get friends together to read books, but more likely, drink wine. You’ll need the wine with “One of Us”. If you have a decent size group, I can get you a discount on the books. I’ll have them shipped directly from the warehouse to your front porch. “One of Us” is about solidarity and encouraging each other. Make friends and start a book club if needed.
- Share this post with everyone you know. I have a limited amount of people that I can reach. You have hundreds of friends on here that only you can impact. You are their only hope in learning about “One of Us”. They need you. I need you.
I want to thank you for loving me through the shenanigans whether we’ve known each other since elementary school in Alaska or more recently while I finish up grad school here in Baltimore. Please know that I appreciate you.
Speaking of, in this photo, I have the copy of “One of Us” where people at the soft launch wrote little notes for me. You make me smile. Thank you for helping me feel again and thank you for loving me. I am exactly where I need to be in life right now and I couldn’t have done this without you.